Professor David Nutt: “Why We Should Decriminalise Personal Possession Of All Drugs”
- Professor David Nutt is coming to Manchester to talk about the benefits of decriminalising drugs in the UK
- The former chief drug advisor to the British Government was dismissed for calling for the legalisation of medical cannabis
- Professor Nutt has published 400 original research papers, a similar number of reviews and books chapters, and eight government reports on drugs
- All proceeds from the event will be going to David’s science-led drug charity, DrugScience
Legendary British psychiatrist Professor David Nutt is coming to Manchester to give a lecture on “Why We Should Decriminalise Personal Possession Of All Drugs.”
The world-renowned drugs expert made headlines when he was dismissed as Chairman of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs after publicly disagreeing with the Conservative Government’s reclassification of cannabis from Class C to B.
In the latest MCR: Talks lectures, Professor David Nutt will be discussing how the attempt to control drug use and harms through punitive sanctions (i.e. the “War on Drugs”) has been a global failure.
In this vehement talk, Professor Nutt will explain the reasons such failure was predictable and illustrate how decriminalisation policies (as pursued in other countries such as Portugal, Netherlands etc.) offer a rational and more humane way forward, that also have huge economic and research gains for society.
“Cannabis is the oldest medicine in the world – why is it banned?”
– Professor David Nutt
Professor Nutt will also explore new research carried out by DrugScience.org on estimating the comparative values of different policy regimes for some common drugs.
Proceeds from this event will be donated to DrugScience, David’s own independent science-led drug charity.
DrugScience brings together leading drugs experts from a wide range of specialisms to carry out ground-breaking original research into drug harms and effects.
The entire experience will include:
- Fascinating science lecture in London on global drug policy
- World’s leading expert on Addiction, Neuropsychopharmacology and Brain Science
- Exclusive Q&A with Prof David Nutt
The talk will be held at the University of Manchester (Reynold Building), Altrincham St, Manchester, M1 7JA.